Friday, September 08, 2006

Ooh baby, I'm a wild one...

Ok, now I can't stop singing that song. Yesterday, it was "one of these things in not like the other" b/c Monica put it in my head by accident.

Why am I a wild one? Well, I am not. A little history: I have lived in the MetroBoston area my ENTIRE life (a brief 4 year stint in NH for college, but in a CITY). I have seen racoons, skunks and all kinds of rat-mouse-groundhog type animals. I moved to NEWTON (even CLOSER TO THE CITY) and this is what is in my yard, on a main road, watching PC get on the MBTA bus at the stop in front of the house:
DSCN1003
That's a bunny. A real bunny. Now I know why Pumpkin watches the backyard all day. We have seen them around before, but this morning, I almost STEPPED on this one. Oh yeah, almost killed a bunny.

It gets better (all this before 7:30 am)! These guys were in my parking space when I arrived at work (yeah, I am going to miss this!):
DSCN1004
I promised you some FOs, didnt' I? Ok, well... my oldest UFO is officially off-the-needles! Yuppers, PC's black blob sweater is done! It was seamed, collar attached and woven in last night. I have to say, I am usually terrified of mattress stitch, but my seaming on this is great! I am also pretty proud of it b/c I had to seam it without blocking first (more about this in a minute).
DSCN0998

Pattern: modified drop sleeve from Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns (Ann Budd)
I did a k2,p2 rib on the waist and sleeve cuffs. Also, there is a small (1/2 inch) collar
of k2,p2.
Needles: Bryspun US 8 circulars, 29"
Yarn: Plymouth Encore, BLACK (75% acrylic, 25% wool)
Size: 44 inch chest measurement
DSCN0999
Conclusion: PC loves it... the arms are great, the middle is a little snug,but I think that has more to do with him having 2 ice cream cakes on his Birthday than my knitting (wink, wink honey!)

Monica's Sand River Scarf
is done!
DSCN1000
DSCN1002
Pattern: Sand River, by Monica (she's like Cher... she only needs one name!)
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, in Wisteria (100% superwash wool)
Needles: 13Inch Size US 7 bamboo straights
Modifications: I added one extra repeat (b/c I foolishly thought it was long enough)
Blocked Measurements: 7 1/2 inch wide by 89 1/2 inches LONG

So, the question I always ask is "would I knit this again" when I knit something new. Now, I am not a real big fan of knitting scarves.... I knit them, I like them... they are a necessity. I am casting on for a SECOND sand river tonight in Bamboo. I love this pattern! It worked up in a little over 3 nights of mindless television, blocked like a dream and looks fab!

Thanks, Monica, for writing such a great pattern!

:) Mini

No comments:

Post a Comment