Friday, October 01, 2010

New socks, New babies, New knitter!

I have been knitting, even if I haven't been blogging. One of my holiday knitting goals is to knit my mom 5 pairs of socks: 3 pair of these cotton ones and 2 pair of wool ones. She loves these cotton socks (Cascade Yarns Fixation) and they are easy to knit up on US 3 with 48 stitches on the foot and leg. The color combos are atrocious, to me, but my mom loves them. If you want the pattern, I can post it.














And, a friend at work is pregnant with her first child. As I was the first one at work to find out (we were on a business trip and she was puking), I thought she needed a handknit for this bambino who spent 1 week of his/her 1st trimester in Arizona with me, at a rodeo.

Pattern: EZ's Baby Surprise sweater, without the button band
Yarn: Great Adirondack superwash
Needles: US6
Mods: a kimono look with a simple button and loop closure. Good for a girl, good for a boy. I may need to knit a few more of these...















And, another knitter has been made! A co-worker, Sammi, quickly requested a knitting lesson this week and I obliged last night. She learned the long tail cast-on and the knit stitch in about 20 minutes. Yeah. Really. Frickin' amazing, right? I would say I'm the best instructor ever, but Sammi's pretty quick to pick things up. Last night, post-lesson, she headed home and kept on knitting.... this is her 1 night progress.



















Her tension has evened up and her stitches are getting looser (she, like us all, tried to strangle the yarn into submission at the beginning). So, give a big "woohoo" for Sammi (who will be checking this blog) for her first knitting.

Yarn: Plymouth Encore from my stash
Pattern: Cast on 25, garter until you run out of yarn scarf
Needles: US 8 (4.5mm) needles from the JCA sale a few years ago.

Tomorrow: scenes from a yarn crawl, a completed hat for charity, a toddler sweater and yarn choices for holiday mittens. (if you are my sister in law, don't look tomorrow. ha ha ha)

No comments:

Post a Comment