Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Kind of Party!

Last night we had quit e the treat! Friends of ours, S (Hi!) and D (and daughter, A... the one I made the curly cue topped hat for?) had us over for dinner-- Yumm-o! S is a very good cook and we had a nice time visiting. (S- I am posting my cookie recipe at the bottom, so keep reading!).

One topic of discussion was the fact that there are always "two groups" within any social group. I.e. people who love music break down into people who think rap is music and people who don't. get it? I was asked if among the knitting groups (and I think more importantly, the knit-blogging group) are there two groups? I answered yes, b/c my first thought was "process vs. product knitters." I am a process knitter. I know product knitters. But, then I thought: sweater kntitters vs. lace knitters vs. sock knitters... the list continues! But, unlike the majority of non-knitting groups, we have found peace among our differences. There are even spinners who are friends with knitters! ha ha ha.

What do y'all think? Do you "feel" the pressure from your counterparts in the knitting world? I have heard people say "I feel like I have to try lace, b/c it's the next step." next step to where? Knitting graduation? My godmother was a wonderful prolific knitter who only knit fisherman knit sweaters. No intarsia. No stripes. No lace. No socks. No mittens. Just fisherman knit sweaters. In worsted weight. No dk. No sport. No chunky. Did she somehow fail to move-up as a knitter? I don't think so, but I am wondering about your opinion.

Our night last night was complete with great conversation, yummy dinner and good friends. No knitting accomplished and I am very okay with that.

Hopefully, sock photos tomorrow or Friday.

:) mini

Recipe for Cookies:
Pre-heat to 350 deg F
Ingredients;
1/4cup shortening
1/4cup butter
1/2cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg yolk
1/2tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2tsp salt

Directions:
Cream shortening, butter, egg yolk, sugar, and vanilla together. Add salt to flour- mix. Add flour mix to butter-sugar mix. Dough should come together fairly quickly. Roll into small balls and roll through granulated sugar (optional). Place on cookie sheet and use thumb to make "divot" in the cookie. Add 1/2 tsp jam to each divot. Bake 8-12 minutes.

Makes: 30 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment