Friday, October 22, 2010

bday wishes... and merino dreams

4 ounces of delicious Rambouillet in the "hippie chick" colorway. *drool*

4 ounces of merino/bamboo blend in the "sherbert" colorway


So, my grandmother gave me some money for my *ahem* 3rd anniversary-of-my-3oth-birthday recently. Nani's always been a generous gift giver, but she told me she wanted me to get something very special. And she knows I love to knit (she used to as well). I was thinking about this for a few weeks: what to get? Lord knows I don't need any stash enhancement, but then I slipped on my favorite, well-loved, oft-worn cowl this morning. I want this, I thought. I love the squish and the feel and the smell.... and I knew where to get it. PumpkinMama had spun some of her hand-dyed wool for me a few years back (2?).

But... oh no! The etsy shop was empty! The bonus of going to all these fiber related events and what nots? I have actually met the PumpkinMama, in real life. A quick email with the appropriate amount of begging (ha ha ) and voila! 8 ounces (total) of the two fibers you see above will be coming to me in yarn form. :)

I'm not a spinner. I'm not. I've tried. Ask Mel. Poor thing; he & Cheryl tried so hard one year at SPA and I.just.can't.spin. But I love watching it, asking questions about it and knitting with handspun. I see the advantage of paying more for it. I love the special-ness of having hand-spun yarn. But, I can't do it. I've tried, I've failed.

The lesson? Don't be afraid to outsource to get what you want, what you need. Heck, I was even willing to offer up free babysitting for the Pumpkin-kids if she had really put up a fight. just kidding... or am I?

Now, to finish up other projects so I can admire and squish my new yarn when it arrives (4-6 weeks). Photos to come.


1 comment: