Monday, November 29, 2010

You, too, can knit a scarf!

Flipping through the Macy's circular yesterday, while eating my late lunch, I stopped dead in my tracks.




















I know the world is alive with handknits & chunky cables (go to Pottery Barn and witness the poorly constructed over-priced acrylic (ick!) throw blankets & pillows on every.single.surface).

Didn't see what stopped me dead? Here's a close up.




















And, what threw me for more of a loop? The price:



$20 for about 240 yds of acrylic blend with plastic needles. And do you see a cable needle in there? Hmm... unless Martha's planning on teaching you how to cable without a needle on the back of that 3 inch X 3 inch wrapper, you're going to need some new tools.

I'm happy to see mainstream companies embracing the knitting, I am, but this made me giggle a little.

Happy Cyber Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Let's see with a 40% off coupon when it's 50% off they'll still be making a profit. Craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that's how you upscale acrylic. Interesting. And I thought charging $20 for a skein of my hand-dyed sock yarn was pricey. Pretty soon, people will be saying, "Oh, I don't knit. It's only for rich people". Gah.

    ReplyDelete