Thursday, October 20, 2005

I saw the Harlot!

Ok, so here's the "dirt" on the big Willow Books bookbookbookII thing:

1. Stephanie is funnier, more personable and lovable in real life than you could ever imagine.
2. I was a little "star struck" by all the sweaters I recognized.
3. I am amazingly shy for a girl who can talk to a pole.
4. I saw more bloggers that I recognized!

So, about being shy and having stood there like a complete moron and got my book signed, ate my cake and took off like someone had lit me on fire: I am completely terrified of you "real" bloggers. Me, I knit a little, yap a lot, and have been told I make a good friend. Umm, I'm still afraid of you all. People I saw and recognized but was too chicken-shit to approach and say hello (is it b/c I feel like I am STALKING you people? I mean, really... walking up to a complete stranger and saying "hi... i read your blog everyday and I think your sweaters are pretty.."sounds a little like restraining order fodder, doesn't it?)
Wendy
Claudia
Stephanie
Laurie

Anyone else? In case you were wondering, I was the girl in the purple shirt, gray pants, knitting a gray blob of Royal Tweed (Lana Grasso) in the 3rd row on the left side of the room. I had a good seat. I got there early. I did meet a very lovely woman from JP who doesn't have a blog. :(

So, yes, I was there. I laughed, I completely KNEW what Stephanie was talking about when she talked about the insanity of airlines forcibly removing people from their knitting (hello, 4 flights, back and forth to FRANCE... no knitting... hello? I would have 9 pair of socks by now!).

I missed meeting Sandy, but it's b/c I have NO IDEA what she looks like. ( I have been DYING to meet Sandy in real life... she appears to be a witty, intelligent woman who happens to knit the most amazing mittens on the planet... I want to BE Sandy--- ha ha ha.)

So, there you have it. At a wedding this summer for PC's friends, I introduced myself to most of the guests... no problem. I even sucked in my tummy and made nice with his ex. I chatted with everyone! I even helped make us a new "couple friend" (oh, we have "those" now... when did this happen?). But, no.... in a room full of like-minded people, I am chicken-shit (why do I feel like Norma when I say this?).

It's like when I attend conferences for my work (biochem)... I am painfully shy. I feel like a fraud. Even though I KNOW that I am capable, smart and completely BELONG there, I still feel like everyone will know something I don't. PC will probably read this and say "oh, that mini... she really can talk to a wall", but he knows it took me 1 hour of sitting outside the coffeeshop to enter my first SnB.

Unfortunately, this stems from a bigger problem that I have... and it's deep and not to be discussed here... I am working on it. PC helps... he really does. Having someone in your life who thinks you are cute and smart and wonderful is a good thing for a girl's self esteem.

So, someday soon, i WILL walk up to some of these bloggers and say "hi, i'm Kate and I read your blog." The day is coming, watch out bloggers!
:) mini (kate)

PS- I finished the scarf, have a photo, but hate it... will have PC take a better one this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Look forward to meeting you at the next thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am truly sorry that I missed meeting you! Such nice things you say!
    :)
    How's your thrums coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crazy thing about this is that we ALL feel that way. That's the beauty of it. Say hi!

    ReplyDelete