The large orange member of the squash family that we carve up, dice up, puree and spice to our hearts content. The ubiquitous image of October, fall and Halloween. Anyone who has met me knows: I love all things pumpkin. Even so much that I didn't want our cat at the shelter, until Dan said her name was already Pumpkin. Then it was fate. And then she jumped in my arms. Game over. Sign us up.
So, it's no surprise that I like to EAT pumpkin. And I'm happy to share with you my favorite ways to do so...
- Pumpkin beer. Oh, the varieties... our house is lovin' Harpoon's UFO unfiltered Pumpkin Ale, but i'm a die-hard fan of Cambridge Brewing Company's Pumpkin beer. (available at the bar, in the restaurant, in growlers "to-go" and now, your local Boston area packie).
- my alternative to too sweet pumpkin pie: pumpkin fluff pie
- Pumpkin risotto. I had this for lunch today--- yummm.....
- Pumpkin Latte (nonfat, 2 Sweet & Low, please!) at Dunkin' Donuts
- Green Mountain coffee company, Pumpkin Spice coffee. Available at Mobil gas stations... and i'm usually a Mobil girl during October just for the damn coffee.
- pumpkin muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. PC's mom makes the BEST pumpkin chocolate chip cookies EVER. And, I usually get a dozen for my birthday, which I flat out refuse to share, but none so far this year. :(
- Edy's Slow Churned Pumpkin Ice Cream. Or go to Christina's in Cambridge and order the following: 2 scoops Pumpkin, 1 scoop Burnt Sugar. OMG. To quote Rachel Zoe: "I die." or Soc's in Saugus. Add chocolate jimmies for some flair. And don't call the sprinkles.
- Thai Spiced Pumpkin soup.
- toasted pumpkin seeds... with salt.