Monday, October 24, 2011

When life gives you apples....

Make applesauce. My applesauce recipe is not fancy. It's not super sweet. It doesn't require a lot of work, but it is delicious. And freezes very well.

Kate's Caramel Apple...Sauce. 
  • 8 medium apples, skins on, cored and cubed
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 7 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup water
Add everything to a stock pot and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature and pulverize in a food processor.  Makes 8 1-cup servings, at 98 calories per serving. 

I eat it cold, hot, with pork chops, with a spoon... 

2 comments:

  1. It never occurred to me to use a food processor! Somewhere, I still have the apple press my mom taught me to make applesauce with. Food processor would by much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Splenda and a little bit of fresh nutmeg instead of the sugar, and at my son's request, I hand mash it so there are surprise lumps of apple. Either way, it's that time of year!

    ReplyDelete