Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year's Resolution: to knit more??

Happy New Year! I spent New Years' Eve snuggled with PC, waiting for the ball to drop. We are the least exciting NYE couple: early pajamas, homemade meatloaf and shoveling. Those surprise 8 inches of snow? Not fun at all.


New Years' Day... off to Aswiminknits' 2nd annual 1st Day knitting party. Yummy food, friends (new and old) getting together to knit and laugh. I got to finally meet Splityarn , Woolyheaded, Blogless Manise (see Kathy? Manise is getting blog-play over here at Blogger!) and Maryse. Julie, Jess, PumpkinMama, Terri, Cheryl ... were all there. I realized how much I enjoy spending time with these women. As an adult, it can be really hard to make friends and I have always been super jealous of women who can do this with ease. Everyone here made me feel very comfortable and I think (hope?) I fit right in.


One big thing was to show Erin (pumpkinmama) the cowl I made with the yarn she spun for me. Remember that? It's been morphed into 3 other non-blogged projects and then ripppped. But, the firefly cowl... to die for. Perfect for a worsted handspun. I only have about 5 yds left! It's super warm and soft to the touch and I love it!!!


















Details:
Yarn: PumpkinMama (Etsy) handspun yarn
Pattern: Dragonfly Fire Cowl
Needles: US 9, circular needles
Notes: Love this pattern. I made the "slouchier" version b/c i have a thick neck and wanted some room to breathe. It only took me about 6 hours to knit this from start to finish.


Next up on the FO parade, a scarf. Destined for the "next Christmas" basket I think, but the pattern is divine. I used Schaefer Miss Priss in the Elena Piscopia colorway. One of the really great things about this pattern is that is you have to email Li to get it. She sends you a nice email, a great pattern and you have a new friend! So, Li... I used the modification for the edge (the slip first stitch, ktbl on last stitch) and it worked great.















Yarn: Schaefer Miss Priss, Elena Piscopia colorway
Pattern: Herringbone Rib Scarf by Li Boesen (Life's a Stitch)
Needles: US 9, circulars (nylon)
Notes: I damn near ran out of yarn. The Miss Priss is 280 yds, but it's scant. I didn't block this (yet) b/c Miss Priss is merino so super stretchy and I like the squishy-ness of this rib. It only took 1 long movie (Mystic River on AMC) + 2 hours to finish this scarf. I see a few more in my future.

I did a sock wash the other day and realized... I need new socks! I had one sock just about finished in the SockHop yarn I had... so I finished it up and cast on for sock #2. They are not identical twins at all. Nor fraternal. First cousins? Maybe. My standard toe-up sock (Wendy's toe-up sock from her Wendyknits book) pattern and no gauge change. I am wearing them today and I am LOVING this yarn. It might be worth seeking out the waiting list for more... but I have some sock yarn and I promised PC: no job, no yarn shopping. :(
















Yarn: Crown Mountain Farms, Sock Hop Handspun yarn, Respect colorway
Pattern: Wendy's toe-up sock formula (64 stitches around on foot and leg)
Needles: US 1 Susan bates aluminum dpns (all 5)
Notes: love these socks... I even have some yarn left over... I'm going to weigh the leftovers to see if i have enough for a 2nd pair! I might!

No comments:

Post a Comment